In response to my brilliant co-worker, Bobbi, I’ll be posting a running tally of just what it is I do all day during this week. I’m not sure this is a representative week, what with budgets due tomorrow and all, but this is the week that everyone else is doing it, so I suppose I will too! While the original concept was to illustrate what librarians do all day (or week, as the case may be), and I’m not really a librarian (I just play one on TV?), but a techie who happens to work in a library, this may not answer the original question. On the other hand, it may give a bit of insight into what exactly has to happen on the back-end for the front-line librarians to do their jobs!
So here it is, with no further ado, my Monday…
- Come into work at 7:45am and start up the computer – go through mail while I wait
- Check email, blogs and fire up Twhirl
- Sent out email pointing to this week’s Library Learning 2.1 lesson
- Check that backups ran and that none of the servers died overnight, make sure everything is working on the network
- Count money in the PCC cash register
- Talk to one of my staff who is going with me to Internet Librarian about what pre-conferences we can afford (not enough…) and get the one she wants from her
- Spend an hour alternately chatting with Bobbi via GTalk, wondering why airline prices are changing by the minute, and buying airfare for the 3 folks going to IL while discussing hotel arrangements that Bobbi is making
- Check email again before 11am meeeting
- Budget and various other topics discussed for an hour or so
- Fixed legal paper tray in Tech Services office
- Added IP addresses from III (Millennium Automation System) so they could get into our server
- Met with Children’s Programming Coordinator about reducing her network profile size
- Went home a bit early so I could work on next year’s budget this evening
- Added the winner of the You’ve Been Caught program to the staff website (way belatedly)
- Registered myself and my staff member for IL 2008
- Budget time!
The use of the Remember The Milk social task list helped a lot in remembering what I did all day! Check the LL2.1 blog post linked above for more information about that!!